Combined Heat and Power (CHP) Generation
Blue Power Distributed Generation Corp.
Blue Mountain Resort and its amenities attract hundreds of thousands of people to the Collingwood, Ontario area each year. The Resort has an incredible influence on tourism and is a major employer for Collingwood and the surrounding area. Blue Mountain is Ontario’s largest conference resort. Blue Mountain offers over 36,000 square feet of conference space. In April of 2003, Blue Mountain Resort accepted the Meetings and Incentive Travel Magazine Readers Choice Award for the Best Meeting Facility and Service Excellence. Blue Mountain Resort is a member of the Intrawest ULC group which is a world leader in the development and management of experiential destination resorts.
Management at Blue Mountain recognized early in 2003 that local power generation was important for business reasons. Blue Mountain sits at the end of the transmission grid for the area and is subject to repetitive power outages. Management selected a clean power solution in a CHP micro turbine system to test a long term solution for its power problems. The Clean Solution provides local power to the Inn with the heat energy going into the pools and hot tubs enjoyed by the Inn’s guests.
This project is listed in The Gold Standard Registry as VER Project ID GS640
The project has resulted in competitive costs for both heat and electricity, compared to the alternatives.
Other social and environmental benefits and costs
- Improvement in air quality such as reduction in volatile organic carbon emissions by off-setting coal power production.
- Benefits the City of Blue Mountain by significantly reducing its carbon footprint.
- Provides less strain on the electricity grid and the need to build more transmission lines.
Project’s ability to foster further greenhouse gas emission reductions
- This project is unusual in that it uses a financial model that requires no upfront capital cost on the part of the host. We hope this project structure can be replicated elsewhere through this example.
Project’s environmental and social cost
- There are no major environmental or social costs associated with this project.